A new chapter for Hebrew HealthCare
By Cindy Mindell CT Jewish Ledger Online
WEST HARTFORD – In 1901, the Hebrew Ladies’ Sick Benefit Association first started collecting nickels to help the elderly indigent of Hartford. “The Handkerchief Brigade,” as those early fund-raisers were dubbed, would go door to door until they had enough money to build the Hebrew Ladies’ Old People’s Home on Wooster Street, the first of its kind in Connecticut. The institution would relocate twice – to Washington Street and Tower Avenue – before moving to its current location on Abrahms Boulevard in West Hartford in 1989.
What evolved into Hebrew HealthCare (HHC) would become a nationally recognized non-profit comprehensive geriatric healthcare provider over the next two decades. But with Medicaid reimbursement rates diminishing over time, especially in recent years, the nursing-home component of the not-for-profit HHC began to lose money at an accelerating pace.
In December, the nursing home was sold to National Health Care Associates (NHCA), a move that frees up HHC to focus on the other aspects of its non-profit work. Read more here.